Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Normandy- Day 4

We hired a personal tour guide to give us a much more meaningful insight into the rich history of Normandy and 3 famous sites: Pointe du Hoc, Utah & Omaha beach. It was well worth the investment. **Whenever you have the chance yAll should read This Flag May Fade, Yet These Colors Don't Run. Kinda puts everything into perspective.** It was such a humbling experience to be able to stand on the same beaches where hundreds of brave soldiers gave their lives for the freedom that we still enjoy today. You've heard it said before, "freedom isn't free" and on those beaches and at the Normandy American Cemetary and Memorial, I saw for myself the price thousands were willing to pay. The ultimate sacrifice of love.. Men laying down their lives for their parents, wives, children, future generations..YOU and I today. In my opinion Every American needs to experience this. Maybe people would think twice before joining brainless "challenges" like the Eric Shepperd one. If you haven't heard of it , look it up. 
This exibit is at the Caen memorial for a few months
 A German bunker.
Pointe du hawk
There were these large craters all over the land due to heavy bombing.
Another German bunker. Pretty impressive.

The Rangers landed at the wrong site and had to sneak from the farthest point you see in the pic to the point du hoc. Much respect to the American Rangers for paving the way. 
It was insanely cold for these Arizona natives!! 
At the American Memorial in Normandy 

Rows and rows of crosses. Unbelievable.



A mosaic on the dome of the chapel depicts American blessing the soldiers as they go off to war(Left) and America welcoming her soldiers home when they die (right)


And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died 
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God bless the U.S.A. 












No comments:

Post a Comment